Benefits of Physical Activity
How much physical activity is recommended? 30 Minutes of moderate intensity activity per day at least 5 days per week.
What is ‘moderate’ intensity activity? Moderate means when you are breathing a little faster, you feel warmer and you have a slightly faster heart beat when you are physically active.
There are many health and social benefits to participating in physical activity such as;
- Reduces the risk of dying from heart disease
- Reduces the risk of developing diabetes
- Reduces the risk of developing high blood pressure
- Helps reduce blood pressure in people who already have high blood pressure
- Reduces the risks of developing colon and breast cancers
- Reduces feelings of depression and anxiety
- Helps build and maintain healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Helps older adults become stronger and better able to move about without falling
- Promotes psychological well-being
- Better opportunities for social interaction – meeting people or going out in small groups, thus helping to enhance communities